Guilt

When I was much younger, I mistook her for my mother. She looked just like her, and since she was always around me, I believed she was my mother. There is a picture of her standing next to me and my cake, celebrating my first birthday. I have kept it for donkey years. I loved my aunt.  She told the funniest jokes ever. Her laughter lit up the room. In fact, just the mere sound of her voice had the ability to energise a full room. She had a bubbly personality that I admired greatly. My aunt is arguably the best dancer/fun-lover in the family. I never wanted to miss her parties.  Her positive energy was contagious and I loved her even more for it.

When I left Fabian, my ex-husband, I moved into my empty room in my parents’ house. And while I was there, various family members frequently came to advice me, albeit unsolicited. One day, my beloved aunt knocked on my door and I asked her to come in. I was sitting on my bed, so she sat beside me. I sensed she wanted to talk, I muted the television and turned my full attention towards her. She was not wearing a smile, and her head was facing the floor. Then she looked up at me.

I saw her somewhat gloomy face and I got worried. I touched her arm and then she began to speak. She told me that before she married her husband, she was dating a young man she really loved and they planned to get married. While visiting one of her elder sisters during the holidays, she met another young man who was training to become a doctor. Her sister liked him and encouraged her to pursue a relationship with the new guy irrespective of the fact that my aunt was already seeing someone else. My aunt’s boyfriend was a student, just like my aunt, but was not going to become a doctor. They told her that her future was more ”secure” with a doctor than with someone who was not going to be a doctor. She heeded their advice and before long, she was carrying his child. They eventually got married.

My heart broke and I wondered why she was telling me this. But before I finished scanning through some possible reasons, her voice joggled me back to consciousness. “I’m telling you this so that you will not end up like me. I did not have the courage to stand up for what I really wanted and for who I really loved. So, my dear, do what makes you happy. If you don't want to go back to your husband, don't go back. I just want you to be happy…”, she said.

When I came out of the closet, my family put so much pressure on me that I had to cut everyone off for a while so I can have some peace. I declined most requests to meet, did not entertain visitors, was extremely selective of calls I picked, and deleted all my family members and questionable friends from all social media, including my beloved aunt. I did not speak to her for many months and I had no contact with her. 

But I never forgot her words, and when I came out of the closet, I adhered to her advice to do what made me happy.

*********************************************************************************

We live in a society where family exerts the most influence in decision making. Among the many tactics used is fear - fear of the future and punishment-  and guilt. I think of my beloved aunt. I wonder if she is happy. If she married the man she initially intended to marry, would she have lived a much different life? Would her decision be different had her elder sister, and pretty much the whole family, not implored her to marry the man she eventually married? Would my life be different had I not ended my marriage and come out of the closet?

When I decided to end my marriage and come out of the closet, my parents accused me of dragging their name in the mud, and disgracing the family. My mother asked if that was how I wanted to “repay them” for all their “sacrifices and love.” While I understood their fears and concerns, I could not understand how parents can choose the perceptions and feelings of people they barely know over the wellbeing of their own child(ren). 

When my mother found my blog and read everything on it, she asked, again, “ Is this how you want to repay us for everything we have done for you?”, as if taking care of your child(ren) is a favour. If one chooses to have children, it is their responsibility to care for them. But many people in this part of the world do not view it this way and expect children to “repay” them for “sacrifices” made.

One of the reasons I write is because writing is therapeutic. When I write, I force myself to confront things I would rather not remember or think about. Writing enables me say things I may not be bold enough to say verbally and is also a tool for social change and transformation. You can imagine, then, my utter disappointment when I received a text message from my parents expressing their dismay at “the things I write about them, how I am exposing the family and putting myself at risk”.

Asking me to stop writing is asking me to stay silent and deny my existence. 


The only way I can live a happy life is to live on my own terms, free from guilt and fear.

Comments

  1. You do write beautifully! I must say that for some of us, it is therapeutic to read your write-ups. I guess it is needless to tell you to 'keep being you' cos you always keep it real. *kisses & hugs* 'Tosin Tume.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unapologetically selfish .......

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not easy to read you Biwom. Personally, bold as I am, I cringe sometimes reading your posts; the stark in-your-face honesty, you challenge me. Here's what always say, SPEAK YOUR TRUTH, with love as you do, with kindness, without malice or judgement. Clearly you are giving an honest account of events and some might say it's from *your* perspective but that's what's great about perspective, anyone who doesn't like your own should write their own. I mean, you can't tell another person's story now can you? Never stop speaking your truth.

    Never stop speaking your truth. When people do hurtful things without thinking, part of what gives them impetus is the safety of the knowledge that they'll never be exposed. Well duh, imagine their shock when they see that not all of us can be stifled. What people don't stop to consider is that you hurt as much, if not more than the people who say they are hurt but your writing/actions. I say too bad for them. I say it's your story and you can choose not to be muzzled.

    I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please don't stop writing.You're a grown woman and your parents can't put the kibosh on whatever you choose to do.Your Aunt was really sweet by telling you to be happy. At first when she entered your room, I thought she was going to be like Dana Fairbank's mother in the L Word who told Dana not to act on her homosexual feelings,rather she asked you to be happy. Very supportive! Inspite of how much our parents/family members love us or claim to love us, they are most interested in us ticking the boxes and not staining the family name at the expense of knowing each individual and letting him/her be himself/herself. From childhood, they want you to wear a particular dress for a party so as to avoid nasty comments from other parents. They ask you to study a particular course in the University whereas you're interested in something else. Then you get married and you're told to stay in it despite the fact that you aren't happy in the marriage. It's all for them to look good-damn your own needs and wants. It is ABUSE!I admire your boldness in baring your heart to strangers. Keep on writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes I wonder if our parents love for us is conditional or unconditional. Have they even stopped to ponder?

    Your child is not happy being in a marriage, and yet you implore him or her to stay. What are you really most concerned about? Your child's well-being, or you being ashamed?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes I wonder if our parents love for us is conditional or unconditional. Have they even stopped to ponder?

    Your child is not happy being in a marriage, and yet you implore him or her to stay. What are you really most concerned about? Your child's well-being, or you being ashamed?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still why some parents are they say that are. Take mine for example am a grown are woman and yet you ask me to do things that I wouldn't feel comfortable doing but am supposed to do it compulsorily because my parents say so hian

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts