Dreams Come True

I sat on her bed, right next to her. She was crying while holding my hand. I looked at her with pity, struggling to believe anything she said. She apologised profusely for everything she had done that offended me and promised to start over on a clean slate. An onlooker would have believed her in a heartbeat. But having lived with my mother for almost my whole life, there was an element of suspicion; it was almost as if something held me back. Still, I reached out for a hug…then my phone rang. The loud ringtone startled me out of sleep as I frantically searched my bed for my phone in my dark room. It was my cousin - She called to let me know she had just arrived Baltimore. I managed to smile even in my half conscious state, and we went on to talk about other things with my eyes closed.

When the call ended, I noticed there was an email notification on my phone. The brightness of the phone permitted me to read the mail with only one eye open. My mother had written a long epistle. How weird, I thought, that I would dream about my mother, only to wake up to a mail from her. For a minute, I thought myself a dreamer of some sort. This became somewhat of a frequent occurrence. In my dreams, I saw things that were either happening, or about to happen. I dreamt about what was happening in other people's lives, and I wondered why I was saddled with such responsibility - what was I expected to do with the knowledge?

In one of my dreams, my ex-girlfriend went crying to one of my closest cousins. She lamented about how she was being raped. She said she wanted it to stop, but somehow it just kept happening. She cried a lot in the dream, and pleaded for help from my cousin. When I woke up, I immediately called my ex to find out if she was ok. She did not deny nor accept my dream about her. I knew it was true. Sensing her reluctance to discuss the matter, I asked her to take care of herself and to not hesitate to ask if she needed anything. About a week later, she called to confirm my dream. I went to the bathroom and wept…but I digress.

At this point, the sleep was completely wiped off my eyes. I managed to reach for the lights, was reading with both eyes open and with full concentration. The mail began with what she believes the bible says about homosexuality, and how homosexuals have been condemned to death in eternal hellfire, pleading with me to “change”, and abandon my homosexual “lifestyle” - but homosexuality is not a lifestyle. Eating healthy foods and exercising are lifestyles. I almost stopped reading because I was already getting irritated, but I continued as the email was very long and I wanted to know where it was headed. In all the admonitions of homosexuality she mentioned, I noticed that none talked about loving committed relationships, and nothing came from Jesus himself - Jesus never said anything about homosexuality.

She went on to say that everything she did was done with love and for the sake of love, insinuating that she did not expect me to be offended, but rather, I should have seen her love for me in everything she did. She was doing me a favour - helping me. Pointing me in the “right” direction. How could I be offended by that? Some people have tried to explain this point to me but somehow, it just does not make sense to me. How is it possible to show love by humiliation? Degradation? Condemnation? Physical and emotional abuse? Is that really love? As hard as it may be to believe, I have read this very same bible back to back three times, and I remember it saying that “Love is patient, kind, and is not insistent on its own way…”. I could not help but notice how far removed from this definition my mothers actions were.

Towards the end of the mail, she rendered what read like a heartfelt apology. She said she was on her knees begging for forgiveness. As hard as I tried to picture this actually happening, the image eluded me. She requested that I let go of the past, lay down the hatchet, and start over - just like I had seen her do in my dream except that I could not hug her. I wondered if the fact that the hug did not happen in my dream signified anything, but I was not sure what. My heart sunk as I read the elusive apology. I wanted in my heart to believe her words were sincere and true, but just like in my dream, something held me back. However, I responded, accepted the apology and called a truce. 

*************

Things have never gone back to normal; never back to how they used to be before I came out. My mother and I have different opinions about many things. At the end of the day, she is still my mother, and I am her daughter. We are not the best of friends, but we are cordial with each other. Still, I remain very cautious in my dealings with her. The thing is, I am not convinced that she is ready to accept me fully as I am, hence the feelings of distrust. In fact, I have come to accept that she may never get to the point of full acceptance. I believe she is at a point in her life where she just wants to be able to pick up the phone, call her daughter, and have a conversation. But I wear my feelings on my sleeves. I want to be able to talk about anything with her, including relationship(s), not just work. That is the kind of relationship I desire with her, but it is one we are not able to have - yet.


Negotiations continue.

Comments

  1. Wow. First time reader. Going to check out your other posts. Such depth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mother is one great woman ..... i love her determination to stir you in the right path. It takes a mother deep love to do that and if u can't see then O well. Maybe u not deserving of such love .....
    Best of luck in life . I hope you get to see and value what u have. A loving mother

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. Maybe you don't need to be reading this blog. Ta!

      Delete
  3. Lagos is my home21 October 2015 at 07:08

    Awww bless her . You need to give you mum time and be more patient with her .and your family as well .The world is changing so much compared to their time and it takes a while to catch up . Beside she sounds like a mother fighting for d best for her daughter. You might not agree with her approach but acknowledged she cares thats why she trying ....totally acceptance from their generation in Nigeria is very hard and rare . So her reaction is an expected reaction. Understanding is reciprocal . She is a christian so understand too how she sees it too and most importantly Give her time ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mothers will be mothers. My mother and I have a strained relationship over stuff that is less than this so I can imagine where your mum is coming from.

    I think you're both on different sides of the same coin. As you're thinking about your happiness, she's thinking about hers too. Therefore, if she sees you as selfish, then I'm not shocked if you see her as selfish too. It feels to me like a schism that will take a long time to be bridged, if ever.

    I'd say keep on doing you, never expect too much so that you don't get disappointed. But also always give room for the idea that your mum may NEVER see things your way since we're talking about entrenched belief systems here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are way too hard on your mum. Its very hard for a strong catholic to accept because its against her belief and she may never come around .
    That doesnt mean she has stopped loving you which clearly you can see in her fight to make this all go away. She wants her baby back and trying in the way she know how .
    From these write up i see a loving mother who is sadden by this and its a big change from the norm . Your happiness is as important as hers and she too is clearly not happy just as you .
    Sorry but no winners here and maybe there never can be any winners because the belief systems are so different . You need to go easy on her .

    Kudos for your courage and kudos to your mum too. She doing what any protective parent would do . As a new mum i love your mum already . Parenting is never easy

    ReplyDelete
  6. First time here, saw this on FIN
    Hummmm the blog is loaded with honest posts
    Out of curiosity did you apologise for the hurt you caused your family to each of them ?
    Or do you think you are the only one that deserves an apology
    Be sensitive to what the rest are going through
    You seem to consider only
    Me myself and I

    ReplyDelete
  7. A reader from FIN too. We cheer you on FB and turn you to a mini celeb but behind close doors the pain you have put your family through is real.

    The difference between readers and you is that we have a heart and would never put our family through this . See the number of readers cheering you on FIN now compared that to no of comments supporting you on this blog .

    You go figure and read between the lines . Your mum worked hard to give you the best and you repay her with such contempt post about her. Its all about you amd your needs Smh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please speak for yourself and yourself only.

      Delete
  8. Ronke your comment is unnecessary but I am sure she is used to hearing such. Most people don't know know about her blog is probably why she has less supporters. I will support her privately and publicly. How did she repay her mother with contempt?

    Stay authentic and true to yourself. ...Love Sparkle

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ronke your comment is unnecessary but I am sure she is used to hearing such. Most people don't know know about her blog is probably why she has less supporters. I will support her privately and publicly. How did she repay her mother with contempt?

    Stay authentic and true to yourself. ...Love Sparkle

    ReplyDelete
  10. I fully support you on this blog. I don't know who this person speaking for FIN is but please know that she doesn't represent us all. I think there's absolutely nothing wrong with how you feel about your mother. It's heart breaking what your relationship has become but you do have a right to be accepted for who you are. As humans we don't need to understand something before we accept it. From reading your blog I think you are a beautiful human being and that's what really matters. Your sexual orientation doesn't change the content of your character. And no I see nothing selfish about you. You too have a right to happiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesnt represent us .!!! ...hello Pot .

      Speak for only yourself . Doesnt represent only you

      Delete
  11. Lol, @ Ronke - the FIN spokesperson. Listen, you can only speak for yourself, not all of FIN, abeg. She is not 'putting her family' through anything. She is living her truth and her mum is having a hard time dealing. It is normal for her mum to react that way, because of her mum's beliefs, but I tell you there are loads of families the world over that have reacted differently when their relatives came out of the closet. Loads of families are more interested in the self-actualisation/fulfilment/authentic expression of their loved ones rather than how their loved ones's individual lives will affect the family. Unfortunately, Pamela has a different story. But it doesn't take away from it. Chill, please. And to the poster who says she owes her family an apology... really? Why? Na wa. Somebody decides to stop living a lie and she needs to apologise to her family about this? Joke.

    - FIN member too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ronkeeee!! Jealousy ni! You should have introduced yourself so that we can celebrate your stupidity the way you have come here to display. We celebrated a woman who is proud of herself and is not ashamed to declare her independence. Taa! Gerrarahia!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your blog should be more out dere!!your style of writing is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am shocked at Ronke and the anonymous person from FIN. So you supported her on FIN and came here to bash her.

    Pam continue to live and speak your truth. All your mom really needs to do is to accept you for who you are regardless, and continue to show you love.

    Wow. smh. Ronke and Anonymous. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Abeg Ronke & Dare, no be by force to come here & read now. There are many other blogs that would suit you. I don't think I ever said anything to Pam on FIN but I commend her bravery & honesty. It's hard having to clash with family over anything but there comes a time, you'll have to live for yourself and not others. Be blessed as you go on your way.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts